Thursday, April 14, 2011

Final blog post (webinars and such)

I'll admit, Elluminate is still kind of thrilling to me, even after watching (and leading) a handful of webinars over the past week. Though I wouldn't want all of my classes to be taught over the internet, there was something so cool about not having to make a trip to campus for class. And I get a kick out of all of the buttons, particularly the "laughter" one.
Elluminate aside, the webinar experience was still pretty cool. Like Kristin warned us, it was odd talking to the empty room, (and seeing that people were chatting, but not having time to read the chat). Seriously, I don't know how anyone could present a webinar and, at the same time, monitor chat. Even without reading what was happening in the chat box, I still found it a little distracting.

So, let's jump into this week's reading!
I had mixed feelings about the "Fusion" teaching style that the Semadeni article discussed. On the one hand, I think we do need to experiment with different teaching styles, and figure out a program that rewards good teachers and encourages teachers to try different methods and increase their skills. However, the Fusion style seemed a bit extreme, and I would have liked to hear more about how students (and parents) felt about this teaching method. Though the article did state that students had better achievement scores, there was no testimonial by any students in the program. I am particularly curious about how the roaming substitute affects the students experience. When I think back to elementary school, we really didn't learn much when a substitute came. Would this be different if the substitute was the same person? Does the substitute have to be versed in the curriculum of every classroom in the school? Basically, I'd like to get a bit more information before I make up my mind about the Fusion teaching style.

Blowers & Reed's computer/web training modules (and Fontichiaro's remix) seem like a great way to allow interested staff members advance their knowledge. I particularly liked the parts that emphasized group learning (staff training staff, teachers talking together about what they learned). What I wonder is how those less enthusiastic about learning computer skills would react to the system (and if they would still have success in picking it up). Specifically looking at it with CDL in mind, I feel like the people who could learn the most from the learning modules are those who would not be interested (and would be intimidated) in the modules. How can libraries encourage these people to participate and learn these skills?

You've been a great blogging cohort, all!

2 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts about Fusion; no matter how well-trained a roaming substitute was, it seems unlikely that the students' time with him or her would be very productive. I think that to form an educated opinion, I'd have to know more about the cost/benefit analysis of having the teacher out of the room for training like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - Do you think that the incentives in Blowers' program made a difference? For example, might a reluctant employee be motivated if they were given a free iPad for participating? How big of an incentive might it need to be?

    ReplyDelete