Saturday, February 5, 2011

Learning Environments & Assessment -- Week 4 Post

Class
Somehow, I didn't realize that we needed to post about class each week on this blog. (Seriously, though, I have no idea how I missed it. It's written on the syllabus each week, and, now that I think of it, I remember Kristen telling us we needed to.) So sorry to have missed that for the past couple weeks!
For me, the most useful part of our last class was developing new definitions of information literacy without using the word use. The former English major in me loved the word challenge, and the vocabulary limitations forced me to spend more time thinking about what the phrase actually meant. It was also neat to see the similarities and differences in each group's definition. It made me want to combine them all to make a giant Frankenstein definition.

How People Learn, Ch. 6
It was exciting, given our conversations on information literacy (and literacy in general), to read the information in Box 6.1, sharing how the definition of literacy has changed over time, and how much of that change was due to WWI. It made a natural transition from last week's discussion to this week's readings.
As you all know (since, in theory, you read this chapter as well), Chapter 6 covered various learning environments: learner-centered, knowledge-centered, assessment-centered, and community-centered. I thought the discussion of the need to combine learner and knowledge centered environments was particularly interesting, especially with regards to math and science. The book pointed out in science, it is important to emphasize "doing science" and exploring rather than just memorizing facts, and that in math, it was important for students to understand concepts in addition to developing computation skills.
The section on the community-centered environment also got my attention because I had never really thought about the importance that a strong community environment has in learning. However, when I thought about my own schooling in the Chelsea School District, I realized that the emphasis on community made it easier for me to latch onto what I was learning. Parents were brought into the classroom to help with a number of projects, which not only helped the teacher allow us to do more complicated lessons (like dissecting cow lungs), but also involved parents in their children's learning. There were tons of after-school and weekend clubs that promoted learning outside of the classroom, and since we had the basically the same classmates from kindergarten on, the classroom was a comfortable place filled with people we knew. Though much of my great schooling can be attributed to things outside of the community environment (like great teachers and good budget for classroom materials), certainly community was responsible for some of my great experience.

Sadler
This article focuses on the assessment and evaluation of classroom learning. Though I was glad to get some more specific background on forms this assessment can take, it seemed to be much more geared to the academic environment. However, it got me wondering about the forms assessment can take in a public library.
Certainly PLs are interested in promoting learning, particularly in the programs they offer, but since many of these programs are the one-shot workshops, how do we provide assessment that the learners can use? Nothing is turned into the librarians teaching, and we don't give back graded or commented material. Other than watching learners work and providing verbal comments, how can librarians assess (and report assessments about) what patrons are learning? What about the learning that takes place outside of a class-setting? Do patrons want feedback from the librarian, or will they be angry if the librarian suggests ways they can improve their searches (or whatever it is that they are working on)?

Reading over that mess of questions, they don't seem particularly clear, probably because my brain is still jumbled over the idea. But if you can decipher them and have some thoughts about potential answers, I'd love to hear them.

5 comments:

  1. I think you have a good point about assessment tools in public libraries. The only really viable method I can see is self-reporting by the patrons. Maybe following up a one-shot workshop with an emailed form for their evaluations, in which they could address any questions that didn't get answered in the workshop or that came up afterward? This could also help the librarians improve the workshop in the future. The assessors become the assessed... crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to your "mess of questions," I felt the same way when teaching in the public library--how can I assess and give feedback while respecting patrons' personal space, time, and privacy? With one-shot workshops, I don't see a way to have the kind of long-term formative assessment that Sadler promoted (especially given his criticism of the "current trend" to create mini stand-alone courses to allow for greater flexibility in curriculum--if he thinks that a few weeks is too short, then an hour is definitely insufficient!).
    That said, I am a huge proponent of monitoring, asking questions, and providing actionable feedback as an immediate form of formative assessment. It allows you to find out what students (whether in academic, school, or public library settings) are thinking, what their preconceptions might be, and what questions or uncertainties they have.
    I think the public library setting is less conducive to intense feedback and assessment because patrons who come to classes have their own goals to meet rather than goals set by the instructional librarian. The patrons themselves are the ones who should really be determining what is "quality," but this is tricky when they are coming to learn something that needs to hold up to outsiders' standards (e.g. to create a resume that will get them an interview, use a Web 2.0 tool to promote their small business, or learn English in order to pass a citizenship test). The librarian may have a better understanding of what is required to meet a patron's ultimate goal, but s/he doesn't have the same right and influence over the patron that an academic or school librarian might have over a student. How can public librarians teach library patrons to self-monitor and improve their processes without offending patrons or overstepping their professional boundaries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hone in on community in your own K-12 experience, reminding me of a study a few years ago that only 1 in 4 first-grade classrooms was academically rigorus, though almost all were warm, friendly places. Community definitely matters as a foundation, especially in a place like Chelsea, where so much of individual life is knitted into the community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the exact same thing regarding referencing the class in our blog posts! I didn't actually remember that we are supposed to. At least I know now that we have to talk about class too, and not just our readings. I also thought that the history of literacy in 6.1 was interesting. I have always loved anything about history, and to see how literacy has changed throughout the years shows that classes don't always have to be boring. When I am able to related my hobbies to classwork, it's just not as boring to me...not saying that 643 is boring in anyway, because it's not. If only my other classes were as fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I would be able to come up with a definition of information literacy without the word use without the help of my group. It seems like that word kept on creeping up! It's amazing what we were all able to come up with. It really helped me understand the term better.

    ReplyDelete