Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Evaluation step of the ADDIE (Week 2 post)

In elementary school, I couldn't decide if I wanted to be a librarian or a teacher when I grew up (and, to be honest, I also considered careers as an astronaut, detective, and famous actress). What's so exciting is that now I see that my choice to become a public librarian means also taking on the role of teacher. One of the many tasks I'm excited to perform in my future career is creating, developing, and teaching classes to library patrons. So this week's readings, which all dealt with the teaching process and resources that can be used to teach, were ones I downloaded and filed in the folder "Will be useful in real life."

The selections from One-Shot Workshop that presented the Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, Evaluation (ADDIE) model were the most useful, as they presented loose steps to follow when creating library classes. It's nice to have a basic outline for the steps that need to be taken in the process of planning a class, but also allows for flexible implementation with a variety of classes. I also appreciated that the book acknowledged potential issues with the steps they laid out (A paraphrased example: designing in teams is great because you get a variety of people with differing skills and backgrounds, but teams can face challenges because of competing ideas).

The step that intrigued me the most in the ADDIE model was that of evaluation. Is it proposing that before a class is offered, it should be given to a test audience? How does one recruit test students? I know that one of our readings suggested paying participants $10-15 an hour, but that seems like a misuse of the library's limited resources. I know there are no ADDIE police patrolling to make sure the model is used as designed, so I suppose the step could be overlooked, but evaluating a class does seem important.

In your opinion, yet-to-be-named cohort (or, I suppose, anyone who happens to read this), would it be adequate to perform an evaluation after the first time the class is taught? This way, you could see how the class works for its audience, and, though the class members of this session would not benefit from it, their feedback would allow you to improve the class for future sessions. What are other people's ideas for no-cost ways to evaluate library classes? I know the time will come in our lives (probably soon) where we'll actually be creating library classes, and it'd be great to have a variety of methods of evaluation.

3 comments:

  1. I like your question, cohort Emily. We probably avoid evaluating ourselves and our classes unless called upon to do so, but if we structure the class in such a way that learners use the skills immediately, we should see where the success (and failures) appear. Can they use the tool introduced to create something? Can they find the information needed? There's nothing more satisfying than hearing "aha" and seeing a student grap onto a new idea and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I am in Outcome-Based Evaluation (SI623) which is basically all about evaluating programs after they are done. Although the point of that is mostly to "prove" that the library and its programs are benefitting the community, I think it can also be used for the evaluation stage of creating one-shot workshops. I think the most important thing is to develop a really strong class. Maybe the first group does not get the best class and that is unfortunate, but in the end lots (hopefully!) of people will be benefitting. I guess this is not really the best thing for a program or class that is only going to be done once, but I think the results from the evaluation could then be applied to a future class that is following a similar format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily M- I think an evaluation after the first class could help, sure. Again you would still have to have resources for that evaluation. And who would be evaluating? Supervisory staff? Those involved in the process? The students?

    ReplyDelete